Article Index



Hours changed to six days on and one day off.


William F. Mayo was Chief of Fire Department.


Control of the fire department passed from the Board of Fire Commissioners to a Board of Public Safety by virtue of the new municipal code of that year.


No. 16 Fire Station at Detroit & Woodland Avenues erected.


Fire Department shop at John R. and Division Streets erected.


No. 17 Fire Station, Detroit & Glenwood erected.


Board of Public Safety abolished and department placed under Director of Public Safety.


State Civil Service Law in effect and first commission was appointed.


A $200,000 bond issue was approved for motorizing the department. Plans called for the selling of 100 horses to offset the bond issue.

Champion Water Tower placed into service, No. 6 station. First auto equipment (three Chief cars) placed into service.


On May 17, 1913, a gas tractor was attached to an engine at No. 3 House. It reached speeds of 25 mph. The tractor was made by the Knox Tractor Co. of Springfield, Massachusetts. They sent three for free use on a trial basis. The other two went to stations No. 2 and No. 5.


George Fraser, Chief of Fire Department.

First motorized fire apparatus placed in service:

1 - 85’ American LaFrance Aerial Hook & Ladder

3 - Knox-Martin 3 wheel tractors

3 - Peerless City Service Hook & Ladder Trucks

1 - Seagrave City Service Hook & Ladder Truck

1 - Peerless Combination Hose & Chemical Truck

5 - Willys Knight Chief Cars

The Charter of the City of Toledo provided that the Safety Department was to be under the jurisdiction of a Safety Director appointed by the Mayor, and the Fire Department became the Division of Fire in the Department of Public Safety.


Louis H. Elling, Chief of Fire Division.

The High Pressure System was placed in and service hours changed to 4 days on, 2 days off


The last horse retired from the fire service from No. 15 Station at Airline and Gibbons Streets on August 12, 1916. The Division of Fire was completely motorized.

By March 25, 1916 there were 2,250 fire hydrants, 66 of them high pressure.


International Association of Firefighters chartered. Local 92, No. 3 Station (headquarters) was rebuilt on the site of the razed former station built in 1885 at Jefferson and Ontario.


First motor-driven pumper purchased and first steamer replaced (November 1)


Firemen began working the two-platoon system of 48 hours on duty, 48 hours off duty (Sept. 16). No.

18 Fire Station at Sylvania & Peak St. erected.


No. 11 Fire Station at 315 Water St. abandoned and No. 11 Company moved to new quarters at the foot of Madison Avenue and the Maumee River.


No. 19 Fire Station at Stickney & Ketcham Ave. erected.

No. 15 Fire Station at Wayne & Gibbons Street abandoned and No. 15 Company moved to present station on Fearing Blvd. near Airline Avenue.


Fred J. Myers, Chief of Fire Division.

No. 1 Station rebuilt at Bush & Erie Sts.


Fire Prevention Bureau created (June 1)


Drill School created (September 1)

March 1st, running out of No. 5s, the last steamer was replaced by a pumper.


No. 21 Fire Station at Glendale and Detroit Avenue erected.

No. 23 Fire Station at Central and Oatis Street erected, known originally as No. 22

No. 3 moved to 20 North Superior Street on March 3, 1931 (the old jail). Old No. 3 at Jefferson and Ontario abandoned.


Radio broadcasting of fire alarms began (Aug. 9)

Positions of Engineers and Assistant Engineers abolished by council.


On June 15, 1933, No. 11 Fire Station at the foot of

Madison Avenue was abandoned and No. 11 Hose Company moved to No. 3 Station at 20 N. Superior St. Rescue Squad placed in service (October)


Firemen began working the three-platoon system: 8 hours a day, 48 hours a week (June 1). Fire Stations Nos. 12, 15, 19, and No. 23 closed; No. 11 Company, running out of No. 3s, and the Drill Tower were disbanded (June 1)

Fred T. Schlorf, Chief of Division of Fire, 1936

No. 13 and No. 18 Hook and Ladder trucks out of service (May 1)

Short wave radios installed in chief cars (May 2)

The position of Chief Inspector in the Fire Prevention Bureau created.


August 1: position of Assistant Chief abolished and position of Deputy Chief created

November 1: No. 23 Fire Station reopened


April 1: No. 12 Fire Station reopened

July 1: No 15 Fire Station reopened

December 1: Firemen began working 24 hours on and 48 hours off


June 1: Drill Tower erected at the rear of No. 23 fire Station, Central and Qatis. Position of Drill Master created.

July 16: Colored Fire Company for No. 8 Station appointed.

August 16: No. 19 Fire Station reopened.


June 16: No. 2 Hook and Ladder out of service

June 17: Colored fire company dismissed ("illegally appointed")


July 16: No. 24 Fire Station at Summit and 114th Street opened through the annexation of Point Place


Fifty men of the Toledo Fire Divisions were drafted for Military Service and six of them were killed in the line of duty.

Many members of the Fire Division served with the Civilian Defense Corps as air raid wardens and first aid instructors during the war. Two firefighters were assigned to the chiefs cars during the war years and were called commandos.


Patrick J. Daly Chief of Fire Division


Toledo's Attic and all contents herein are to be used for educational and scholarly purposes. U.S. and international copyright laws protect digital contents in this collection. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. Toledo's Attic by is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at